Parkour

by Todd on September 20, 2011

I spotted Jordan this past weekend, while going to the farmer’s market across from the Iowa City Civic Center. He was jumping over rails, running up walls, and all kinds of crazy stuff. I took a few frames of him in action, then asked if I could do a quick portrait.

Nikon F100, Zeiss 100/2 Makro-Planar, Fuji Neopan (LegacyPro) Acros 100, pushed 2-stops in Rodinal.

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Mitchel September 21, 2011 at 4:09 am

Parkour is strict regarding efficiency. Flips are not PK. If you subscribe to the belief of Sebastian Foucan, freerunning should be the term used to describe a free expression of artistic movement that is similar to PK. It’s a common mistake.

Todd September 21, 2011 at 6:43 am

I actually looked up the word Parkour before posting this, since I am unfamiliar with the art, and didn’t want to say something preposterous. But I only briefly skimmed the Wikipedia page, and clearly didn’t go deep enough to appreciate subtleties. :)

Thanks for the comment, and the clarification!

Erik September 22, 2011 at 8:23 am

Did you add any contrast in post? I’m already in love with Acros, but the boost of pushing two stops seems to really make it pop!

Todd September 22, 2011 at 8:53 am

The short answer is yes, there was some increase to contrast. Most of what I post here is not “straight out of the camera,” but unlike my digital photography, I try to keep Photoshop to a minimum to retain as much of the film-and-chemistry character as I can. I didn’t do any Levels or Curves, and 95% of my post-work is removing dust, because I don’t have any clean procedures in place for drying the negs.

The biggest variable, and my weakest link in this workflow, is the scanning. I am just using Epson’s free software. I have their ‘Unsharp Mask’ set to Medium, and I do tweak the levels on the scan previews…this is done on a per-frame basis, so I can’t say exactly how much I do for a given shot, but it’s never extreme. Finally, in Photoshop, I do another round of Unsharp Mask…settings were roughly [25, 30, 7] on a full 2400 dpi scan, which gives it some nice local pop.

Although my experience here is very limited, I would say a lot of the nice contrast comes from the dev protocol, though. My first two rolls of Acros (one 35mm and one 120) were disapointingly low in contrast, and I decided I didn’t like the film. But those were processed by a local lab, in D-76. Once I started doing it myself in Rodinal, I was much happier, and contrast is good with the same scanner settings. Also the 10-minute, frequent agitation protocol with Rodinal results in better contrast compared with a stand procedure. I just developed another roll of this same film last night, using an intermediate method: four brief agitations over a 10-minute period. Still pushed two stops. I hope to have time to scan those today.

Erik September 22, 2011 at 10:57 am

Was this your procedure for this set?

“processed for 10 minutes in 1:25 Rodinal, with 45 seconds agitation up front, followed by 5 inversions every minute.”

I’m shooting 120 and 35mm Acros now, and develop with Rodinal as well. I think processing similar to this would be a great starting point!

Great to see you posting more often, by the way!

Todd September 22, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Yes, that’s right.

I really like stand-developing with Rodinal, for an hour or two, at 1:80 or so, too. But when I’m pushing, and especially with 35mm, it gets a little grainy for some tastes (though I like it personally). If I were shooting Acros at box speed, or shooting in my 6×6, I think I would default to the stand process, unless I was in a hurry.

But if you don’t mind babysitting the tank for frequent inversions, it definitely gives nice results, too. :)

Erik H September 26, 2011 at 11:34 am

One more question… I’m pretty new to B&W developing, but it seems that you keep your development time at 10 minutes, even when pushed 2 stops? Is that correct?

A.k.a. – It seems you use the same development time and technique for Acros at ISO 100 as you do for ISO 400. Or am I just assuming this?

Todd September 26, 2011 at 11:44 am

TBH, I am losing track of the posts I’ve made here, but I don’t immediately recall posting anything about Acros shot at box speed (I could be wrong). I think I once shot a roll of 120 at ISO100, but I don’t think I posted the results, and I can’t remember if it was before or after I started doing my own development. I have been keeping a database on my iPad for processing, so I’ll see if I can find an instance of doing that I might not have posted. I guess my instinct would be to cut the development time by 3 or 4 minutes, but I’m basically very inexperienced with this still. Anyway, if I shot a roll of Acros at box speed now, I think I would do a 90-minute stand in 1:100 or somewhere thereabouts. Because I wouldn’t be too concerned about extra grain that might be induced from the stand protocol.

Previous post: